Small dogs and cats, who are at least 16 weeks old and weigh a maximum of 8 kg including an approved transport container, may travel in the passenger cabin. For regional flights, animals only need to be 12 weeks old. You’ll need to make sure you have a soft-sided travel carrier that meets all the necessary requirements for Lufthansa Airlines. Additional restrictions for flying with pets in the cabin apply to breeds of fighting dogs and snub-nosed animals.
Regulations for Cabin Transport Containers
You must have a soft-sided carrier that can be securely fastened when flying with small dogs and cats in the cabin. The transport carrier must meet the following specifications:
- The maximum size is 118 cm (55 x 40 x 23 cm) or 47 in (22 x 16 x 9 in).
- The total weight of the transport container, including the animal, must not exceed 8 kg.
- The animal must be able to stand in its natural position in the closed transport container and also lie down and turn without any restriction.
- The container must be escape-proof, leak-proof and bite-proof.
- The inside of the container must be lined with absorbent material. We recommend a blanket or old clothing. Newspaper, cardboard and straw are not permitted.
- The animal must be stowed in the transport container under the seat in front of you when on board. If this is not possible, it must be attached to your safety belt by a lead while remaining in the container.
- Only one transport container per passenger is allowed to fly in the cabin.
- The number of animals per transport container is limited to one animal. However, exceptions apply.
Find more information about Lufthansa Airlines Pet Policies.