This small airport and its pet policies are surprisingly pet-friendly. With just three, inter-connected terminals, passengers have quick and easy access to five convenient pet relief areas inside the San Francisco Airport, and two outdoor locations. Options exist both pre- and post-security, allowing pet parents optimal flexibility and saving time on second-round security. Terminal 1 has three locations (two indoor and one outdoor), Terminal 2 has one, post-security station, Terminal 3 has two (one indoor and one outdoor) options, and the International Terminal has an indoor location. Travelers do not need to leave their terminals to utilize these amenities.
Terminal Guide for San Francisco Airport Pet Relief Areas
The San Francisco airport offers one or two animal relief options in each terminal. Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 offer post-security options. When searching for the outdoor, pre-security locations, simply look for the painted paw-prints on the Arrivals Level terminal curbside walkways.
- To access the pre-security Terminal 1 pet relief area, exit through the Arrivals/Baggage Claim area into Courtyard 2.
- To access a post-security Terminal 1 pet relief area, enter through security and follow signs to B Gates, specifically near NYS Eyewear.
- To access another post-security Terminal 1 pet relief area, enter through security and follow signs to C Gates, specifically near Gate C5
- To access the post-security Terminal 2 pet relief station, enter through security and follow signs to D Gates, specifically near San Francisco Magazine News.
- To access the pre-security Terminal 3 pet relief station, exit through the Arrivals/Baggage Claim area into Courtyard 4.
- To access the post-security Terminal 3 pet relief station, enter through security and follow signs to F Gates, specifically near Gates F11-22.
- To access the post-security International Terminal pet relief station, enter through security and follow signs to A Gates, specifically near the British Airways Lounge.
San Francisco Airport Animal Relief Area Map
What to Expect from SFO Airport Pet Relief Stations
The outdoor San Francisco airport pet relief areas are outfitted with gravel or grass. They are fenced-in and include basic amenities: a waste-basket, drinking water, and a fake fire hydrant. These areas are large enough to accommodate 3-5 dogs at a time, eliminating the need to wait in line. Additionally, though outside the Arrivals/Baggage Claim areas, these pet relief stations are relatively removed, allowing your pet to experience a moment of quiet in an otherwise stressful time.
Indoor, post-security SFO pet relief stations are small, private stalls/rooms situated close to boarding areas. They offer artificial grass, a sink, dog waste bags, and small, fake fire hydrants. Unlike the outdoor options, these areas can accommodate just one dog at a time.
All in all, the San Francisco International Airport is surprisingly pet-friendly. With several options per terminal and widely available resources, you should not have a problem navigating this small but busy airport.